Thursday, May 16, 2013

Eating My Way Back to Healthy

from www.facebook.com/holisticdad
I need to be healthy again.

I've thought this off and on the last few years as I finally started to realize that my health wasn't getting any better.

I have tried doing a variety of things to improve my health.  I changed my diet for both better nutrition and weight loss, walked everyday (this actually worked), joined a gym, tried a variety of supplements, fads and quick fixes; only to end up back where I started.  Sometimes worse off because a new issue arose.  

It's not about being older and watching youth slowly slip away; or trying to retain the youthful look or feeling. After all, I'm only 25 (give or take 25 or so  :D )!!  Mentally, I still feel that I am. On a good day, I am physically too. Then the fatigue sets in or the memory fails. One of a dozen plus little signs starts to rear it's ugly head; and I'm reminded that I'm not one of the young ones anymore.

Over the last decade, my health has taken a slow nose dive. Nothing serious... but nothing with an easy fix either. I haven't been 100% for a long time. There are the obvious reasons: age, weight, reduced activity... Add in my health issues: uterine fibroids which has caused or contributed to heavy/irregular/extended periods (sorry guys if this is TMI) and an iron deficiency; May-Thurner Syndrome which caused the DVT and potentially contributed to the irregular periods; and low progesterone (or estrogen dominance) that has also contributed to the irregular periods plus fatigue, moodiness, crazy sleep patterns, cloudy brain (or a lack there of).  My Gaul Bladder was removed. I have nodes in my thyroid. Bunions. Degenerative disks (L4 & L5) which occasionally pinch the sciatic nerve. Acne. Dry skin. I'm sure the list goes on....

So, today I make the commitment to make a change. You are my witness and will share in the journey (well, those few that might actually be reading this). I'm going to make small changes. Exchange a not so great item for a better item. Choose nutritious foods that my body needs. Find out what my body needs and what won't work for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to stop eating sweets or having a drink out with friends; just maybe less. I may try converting some of my favorite recipes. I will start walking everyday. This has worked well for me in the past, I just need to restart the habit. I will take daily vitamins. At least until I'm at a healthy norm then the fruits and veggies can take over.

This is just the beginning of the journey. I will learn, make mistakes, have set backs; but will always move forward. Feel free to contribute, give advise or ask questions. I don't have all the answer, but will share what I learn and where I find the information.

2 comments:

  1. This is a test comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Janet. I'm trying to publish a comment as anonymous. Love your blog! I'm also trying to be healthier starting today. I am planning on eating as much raw fruits and veggies as possible (I would love to be 100% raw again but it's always a challenge). I'm also planning on working out and walking every day! Here's to our health!!!

    ReplyDelete